CR 12: Paddle Boarding Lake Martin | News
LAKE MARTIN, AL (WSFA)- You see all sorts of things out at Lake Martin out on the water. And in the last few years you may have noticed some folks who are paddling, while standing up. It's called paddle boarding. "I've been doing it about 3 years," said Sharon Johnston with Paddle Lake Martin. "It actually started in Hawaii more than 100 years ago."
The concept is pretty simple. You stand on what looks like an oversized surfboard with your feet side by side. There's no wave to push you though, that's where the oar comes in. The boards are pretty fancy. "This is a surf style 12 foot board you can actually put a cooler on it."
Along with the beautiful scenery of Lake Martin, you can also get a great workout. "You actually press down with your upper arm and pull back with the other, you have to use your torso, lats and legs for balance."
So what's the best part for paddle boarders like Sharon Johnston? "I can do it by myself, nobody else's schedule, you don't have to gas it up, it won't break down. And you can talk while you're riding."
They even got me up for a quick ride. It was pretty easy to stand but a lot of work to keep moving forward and stay under control. You can give it a try yourself. The Lake Martin Dock Company does demos. Call them at 334-857-2443.
Copyright 2012 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.
Top Lake Martin Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Undocumented immigrant kills girlfriend in Alex City murder-suicide
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Lake stakeholders oppose FERC’S refusal of proposal
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Police continue investigating shots fired into building on 280
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/14 - 6/16
- Alex City authorities start death investigation after couple found dead inside home
- Auburn police plan 2 checkpoints on June 26
- Pair caught with stolen property, hit with theft and drug charges
- Briggs and Stratton to Sponsor Annual Fourth of July Celebration
- Auburn City Pools Offer Float-N-Movies and Friday Night Splash Events
- Lee County Association of REALTORS awards over $13,600 to two local charities
- National Tae Kwon Do champion from Tallassee
- Authorities kill "nuisance" gator on Rifle Range Road
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Tallassee City Schools
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Tallapoosa County schools
- 3 suspects in Tallassee child sex abuse case have first court hearing